Casa de los Condes de Jaruco
The restored 18th-century Casa de los Condes de Jaruco (House of the Counts of Jaruco, Muralla #107), or “La Casona,” on Plaza Vieja’s southeast corner, was built between 1733 and 1737 by the father of the future Count of Jaruco and is highlighted by mammoth doors opening into a cavernous courtyard surrounded by lofty archways festooned with hanging vines.
Whimsical murals are painted on the walls, touched in splashy color by the undulating play of light through mediopuntos. It hosts offices of the Fondo Cubano de Bienes Culturales (Cultural Property Fund, tel. 07/860-8577). Art galleries occupy the downstairs rooms (Tues.–Sat. 9 a.m.–5 p.m.).
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Cuba, 5th Edition