- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Heliconia Island (tel. 506/2764-5220, www.heliconiaisland.com, $10 self-guided tour, $15 guided tour), about five kilometers north of Horquetas, is indeed an island-turned–heliconia garden, created with an artist’s eye and lovingly tended by naturalist Tim Ryan and now tended by Dutch owners Henk and Carolien Peters-van Duijnhoven. Exquisite!
The garden was started in 1992 and today boasts about 80 species of heliconia, plus ginger and other plants, shaded by almond trees in which green macaws nest. The garden also includes palms, orchids, and bamboo from around the world. Needless to say, birds abound.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition