Tamarindo and Vicinity
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Tamarindo, a former fishing village that has burgeoned into Guanacaste’s most developed (some would say overdeveloped) resort, offers prime wildlife viewing, a scintillating beach, surfing action, and a choice of accommodations spanning shoestring to sophisticated.
Playa Grande could well be Costa Rica's most beautiful beach. With some of the best overall beach breaks in the country, surfers are naturally drawn here, and the entire shoreline within the National Park is a protected turtle nesting ground.
Recent years have seen a growth in robberies against tourists, and drugs and prostitution have also encroached.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition