El Viejo Wildlife Refuge and Wetlands
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
This 5,000-acre refuge (tel. 506/2665-7759, www.elviejowetlands.com), 17 kilometers southeast of Filadelfia, is an ideal place to explore the hinterlands of Palo Verde National Park and Río Tempisque.
You can explore the wetlands in amphibious vehicles; explore Palo Verde on a boat tour; and thrill to a 12-platform zip-line canopy tour. >The refuge adjoins the owners’ sugarcane estate, with one of the largest sugar mills in Costa Rica (it can be visited on the Trapiche Tour).
The beautiful colonial hacienda is now a restaurant that hosts traditional folkloric dances. A day pass ($80 adults, $64 children) lets you partake of all activities; separately, one activity costs $40 adults ($32 children) and two activities cost $55 adults, $44 children.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition