Plaza de la Cultura
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
San José’s unofficial focal point is the Plaza de la Cultura, bordered by Calles 3/5 and Avenidas Central/2. Musicians, jugglers, and marimba bands entertain the crowds. Tourists gather on the southwest corner to absorb the colorful atmosphere while enjoying a beer and food on the open-air terrace of the venerable Gran Hotel, fronted by a little plaza named Parque Mora Fernández.
Note, too, the historic Cine Diversiones (Calle 5, Avenidas Central/2), with a beautiful metal-filigree facade.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition