Peñas Blancas: Crossing Into Nicaragua
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
Peñas Blancas, 19 kilometers north of La Cruz, is the border post for Nicaragua. Be careful driving the Pan-American Highway, which hereabouts is dangerously potholed and chockablock with articulated trucks hurtling along.
Steel yourself for a very lengthy and frustrating border-crossing process.
The bus terminal contains the Oficina de Migración (immigration office, tel. 506/2679-9025), a bank, restaurant, and Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT, tel. 506/2677-0138). Change money before crossing into Nicaragua (you get a better exchange rate on the Costa Rican side).
Transportes Deldú buses (tel. 506/2256-9072) depart San José for La Cruz and Peñas Blancas from Calle 20, Avenidas 1/3, hourly 3 A.M.–7 P.M. daily.
Local buses depart Liberia for Peñas Blancas via La Cruz every 45 minutes, 5:30 A.M.–6:30 P.M. daily.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition