Gay and Lesbian Travelers
- The Best of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Top Spots for WIldlife
- Costa Rica’s Most Beautiful Beaches
- Costa Rica’s Best Beaches for Wildlife
- Best Surfing Beaches in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica’s Unique Retreats & Resorts
- Surf’s Up in Costa Rica
- Off-The-Beaten-Path Eco-Adventures
- Costa Rica Family-Friendly Adventures
- Adrenaline Rush
On the books, Costa Rica is tolerant of homosexuality and has laws to protect gays from discrimination; despite being a Roman Catholic nation, homosexual intercourse is legal. There is a general tolerance among educated urbanites. Still, Costa Rica remains a machismo society, and 1999 witnessed violent anti-gay demonstrations. There is less tolerance of lesbians.
Useful resources include the International Gay and Lesbian Association (tel. 212/620-7310 or 800/421-1220, www.gaycenter.org) and the International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association (tel. 954/630-1637, www.iglta.org).
Colours Destinations (tel. 954/241-7472 or 866/517-4390, www.colours.net) offers tours to Costa Rica.
Odysseus: The International Gay Travel Planner lists worldwide hotels and tours and publishes travel guides for gays and lesbians.
© Christopher P. Baker from Moon Costa Rica, 8th Edition