On the west side of the central park sits the Palacio Municipal (City Hall). It was built in 1885 after rebel troops led by Juan Ortega burned the original building to the ground during a skirmish between Royalists and Republicans in 1863. When construction of the present building began, San Cristóbal was still the capital of the state and the plan included an edifice that was to take up an entire city block.
But the capital was moved to Tuxtla Gutiérrez, and the building was limited to a quarter size of the planned construction.
Nevertheless, the final product is still attractive, with neoclassical columns, arches, and a large plaza in the rear where civic ceremonies and demonstrations are held. Notably, the Palacio Municipal suffered major damage during the 1994 Zapatista uprising, though that damage is no longer evident today.
© Liza Prado and Gary Chandler from Moon Chiapas, 1st Edition