Information and Events
- City of Charlotte
- The official website of the City of Charlotte is a useful resource for new residents. It’s the place to go to find out where to sign up for gas and electricity, how to schedule garbage pickup, where to find hospitals, and how to locate a lost pet. The website also has information about construction projects, libraries, and code enforcement.
- Visit Charlotte
- Charlotte’s marketing and tourism board has put together the ultimate online resource for visitors to the region. The website has comprehensive listings of sights, attractions, restaurants, shopping, and hotels. The site is also updated on a regular basis to highlight special events and travel deals. There is also a section for online reservations.
News and Events
- Charlotte Culture Guide
- This website lists all of the cultural happenings in Charlotte. It’s updated weekly and is a great source of information on new exhibits, classes and workshops, lectures, readings, and live performances.
- Charlotte Magazine
- The monthly glossy archives much of its content online. It’s a great resource for finding a restaurant or scouting for a great shopping district.
- Charlotte Observer
- Read the latest local, national, and international news online, check event listings, search for local jobs, and browse the annual Living Here guide.
- Creative Loafing
- You don’t have to go out in search of a copy of this alt weekly; all of the content is also published online (with some added exclusive website content).
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission
- This organization is dedicated to the preservation of local historic properties and landmarks, and its website features an online database with comprehensive historical information about various properties around Charlotte.
- The Charlotte Mecklenburg Story
- An online resource created by the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County to highlight local history, the website has information about historical events, notable local residents, and historical maps and timelines.
- Historic Charlotte
- The website of this nonprofit organization, the charitable affiliate of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, has a downloadable walking tour of historic sites in Uptown and includes information about landmarks and properties with historical significance. The organization also maintains a complete listing of events on its website.
Parks and Recreation
- Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department
- Provides detailed information about city parks and greenways, sorted by region. Each listing includes information about amenities, hours of operation, and links to directions and downloadable maps.
- U.S. National Whitewater Center
- Check out the website of the 307-acre park for information about hours, trail conditions, and gear rental or to purchase passes online.
- Charlotte on the Cheap
- Regular posts serve as a guide to freebies and deals in and around Charlotte. The information ranges from BOGO deals at restaurants to free live-music events and super sales. The website also hosts regular contests for free stuff.
- CLT Blog
- One of the newest local blogs is also one of the best. The team of journalists, photographers, and multimedia specialists at CLT Blog write about the best in music, arts, sports, and nightlife in the Queen City. A mix of political posts, musings about the economy, and opinions about the future of the city help to give it a well-rounded appeal.
- CLT Eats
- Detailed restaurant reviews include the newest hot spots as well as obscure local joints. Posts cover the gamut from the menu, decor, and service to price and food trivia. Numerous photos are posted along with each review. Bulleted pro-con lists are good for those who don’t want to spend time reading the long posts.
- Hip Hoods
- The boutique real estate firm Savvy+Company launched this blog that covers local events and neighborhood happenings. It’s the best place to find out about all things real estate–related in Charlotte’s best neighborhoods.
- Queen City Dog Blog
- Yes, it’s a blog about dogs. Though it isn’t updated as often as most blogs, the QC Dog Blog features posts about dog-related events and issues in Charlotte. It’s worth logging on just to see the adorable dog photos that are posted on Wordless Wednesdays.
© Jodi Helmer from Moon Charlotte, 1st Edition