Fieldcrest Cannon Textile Museum
200 West Ave., Kannapolis
HOURS: Mon.–Sat. 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Sun. 1–6 p.m.
Racing legend Ralph Earnhardt met his wife, Martha, while he was working in the weave room of the textile mill. The mill opened in 1888 and at its peak more than 25,000 people worked there and lived in the nearby mill village.
The mill was torn down in 2004, but the history of the mill remains as part of the Fieldcrest Cannon Textile Museum and Exhibition. The museum is part of the Cannon Village shopping district and is filled with historical artifacts that date back to the mill, including an antique handloom, 1,200-year-old textiles, and towels manufactured on-site to commemorate historic athletic events. The world’s largest towel is also on display.
An interactive exhibit details the textile manufacturing process.
© Jodi Helmer from Moon Charlotte, 1st Edition