4061 Clemmons Rd., Clemmons
HOURS: Daily 7 a.m.–sunset
Tanglewood Park is part historic site, part park, and part recreation area. The land was first claimed in 1584 as part of a land grant made by Sir Walter Raleigh for Queen Elizabeth and is the site of an extravagant manor house that sits at the center of the park.
James Johnson had the 18-room home built in 1859 as a wedding gift for his daughter. Over time, two wings were added to the original house, which was sold to William Neal Reynolds, brother of tobacco baron R. J. Reynolds. Reynolds raised and raced thoroughbred horses and established stables at Tanglewood for his horses. As a nod to Reynolds, trail rides and horse-drawn carriage rides are still offered at the park.
In 1951, the estate was deeded to Forsyth County for use as a recreational park. The manor is now a bed-and-breakfast with 10 guest rooms; tours of the home are also offered. The home is decorated with period furnishings and is still filled with pieces that belonged to Reynolds. The grounds are as impressive as the home.
The rose garden, fragrance garden, and arboretum are open to the public.
© Jodi Helmer from Moon Charlotte, 1st Edition