Excursions from Charlotte
There is no shortage of things to do in Charlotte, but the surrounding areas have a lot to offer, too. If you’re looking for ideas for day trips or weekend getaways, there are lots of options within a short drive of the Queen City. Winston-Salem, Blowing Rock, and Wilmington are among the most popular jaunts from Charlotte.
All three destinations are a short drive from Charlotte, but their landscapes could not be more different. Each town has its own unique character:
Blowing Rock is a renowned mountain destination with equal numbers of art galleries and hiking trails. The shops along Main Street are a perfect example of the town’s two personalities: Within a single block, there are shops selling original works of art, mountain dulcimers, and hiking boots.
Wilmington has a blend of historic charm and beautiful beaches. It’s possible to spend the morning hunting for Hollywood celebrities, the afternoon working on your tan, and the evening going on a ghost hunt.
In each of these destinations you’ll find quaint little towns and open spaces sprinkled amongst big-city amenities and historic sights, and all offer unique lodgings, tons of restaurants, opportunities for recreation, and shopping galore.
The excursions detailed in this travel guide are meant to offer a diverse sampling of cities near Charlotte, but it is not an exhaustive list. There are a lot more quaint little towns and wonderful excursions that are just hours from the Queen City.
Whether you’re just visiting Charlotte or live here and need a break from the city, take advantage of the wealth of options that are just down the road.
- Most Unusual Architecture: Korner’s Folly
- Best Place to Step Back in Time: Old Salem
- Tastiest Sweets in North Carolina: Winkler Bakery
- Most Picturesque Place for a Sunday Drive: Blue Ridge Parkway
- Best Place to Find Fine Art: Bob Timberlake Gallery
- Best Place to Find Cookware and Kitsch: Mast General Store
- Prettiest Inn: Inn at Ragged Gardens
- Best Place to Board a Battleship: Battleship North Carolina
- Best Place to Spot a Celebrity: EUE Screen Gems Studios
© Jodi Helmer from Moon Charlotte, 1st Edition