- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- More than just a compendium of license and fee information—though there’s certainly plenty of that—this site features a lot of practical advice on how best to enjoy South Carolina’s great outdoors, whether you’re an angler, a kayaker, a bird-watcher, a hiker, or a biker.
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- Ditto for this site, which has lots of great information on the wildlife and geology of Georgia’s beautiful and largely undeveloped barrier islands.
- Coastal Bicycle Touring Club
- The clearinghouse for routes and rides by Savannah’s most dedicated cyclists.
- Georgia State Parks
- Vital historical and visitors’ information for Georgia’s underrated network of historical state park sites along the coast, including camping reservations.
- South Carolina State Parks
- Ditto for this site all about South Carolina’s state parks.
- Dozier’s Waterway Guide
- A serious boater’s guide to stops on the Intracoastal Waterway, with a lot of solid navigational information.
Nature and Environment
- Go Green Charleston
- The latest environmental and sustainable living news in Charleston, with a lot of practical and fun visitors’ information and links.
- Green Drinks Savannah
- Leave it to Savannah to make talking about the environment a cocktail-oriented pursuit. This site also has links to Green Drinks organizations in Beaufort, South Carolina, and St. Simons Island, Georgia.
- Charleston Green Map
- A painstakingly compiled guide to green businesses, restaurants, and organizations in the Holy City.
- Ocean Science
- A blog by the staff of Savannah’s Skidaway Institute of Oceanography, focusing on barrier island ecology and the maritime environment.
- Charleston Chow
- An unvarnished take on the local food and bev scene by a professional chef and former food critic for the Charleston Post and Courier.
- Savannah Foodie
- An insider’s look at the Savannah restaurant scene, with an emphasis on breaking news.
History and Background
- South Carolina Information Highway
- An eclectic cornucopia of interesting South Carolina history and assorted background facts, which makes for an interesting Internet portal into all things Palmetto State.
- New Georgia Encyclopedia
- A mother lode of concise, neutral, and well-written information on the natural and human history of Georgia from prehistory to the present.
- Charleston Wiki Project
- A Wikipedia just for Charleston, with a resident’s point of view.
- Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau
- This very professional and user-friendly tourism site is perhaps the best and most practical Internet portal for visitors to Charleston.
- Professionally produced downloadable mp3 walking tours covering Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, and the Sea Islands of Georgia.
© Jim Morekis from Moon Charleston & Savannah, 4th Edition