- Canadian Tourism Commission
- Official tourism website for all of Canada.
- Tourism British Columbia
- Learn more about the province, plan your travels, and order tourism literature.
- Travel Alberta
- Similar to the British Columbia tourism website, but includes information on Banff and Jasper National Parks.
- BC Parks
- This department oversees management of provincial parks in British Columbia. The website details facilities, fees, and seasonal openings of each park.
- Parks Canada
- Official website of the agency that manages Canada’s national parks and National Historic Sites. Website has information on each park and historic site, including fees, camping, and wildlife.
- Parks Canada Campground Reservation Service
- Online reservation service for national park campgrounds.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Check this government website for anything related to entry into Canada.
- Environment Canada
- Five-day forecasts from across Canada, including dozens of locations throughout the Canadian Rockies. Includes weather archives such as seasonal trends and snowfall history.
- Government of Canada
- The official website of the Canadian government.
- Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts
- Small chain of four upscale Canadian Rockies’ resorts.
- Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
- Lodging chain that owns famous mountain resorts such as the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, and Jasper Park Lodge.
- Hostelling International–Canada
- Canadian arm of the worldwide organization.
- Biosphere Institute of the Bow Valley
- Canmore-based organization mandated to gather and circulate information on management of the Bow River watershed. Online references include studies, publications, and human-use guidelines for the region.
- Bow Valley Wildsmart
- This nonprofit organization has put together a wealth of information on how to stay safe in the Bow Valley watershed, including reported wildlife sightings.
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society
- Nonprofit organization that is instrumental in highlighting conservation issues throughout Canada. The link to the Calgary chapter provides local information and a schedule of guided walks.
- Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation
- Initiative www.y2y.net
- Network of 800 groups working on conservation issues in the Canadian Rockies and beyond.
Transportation and Tours
- Air Canada
- Canada’s national airline.
- Banff-based operator offering day trips, airport shuttles, and package tours.
- Rocky Mountaineer Vacations
- Luxurious rail service from Vancouver to Banff and Jasper.
- VIA Rail
- Passenger rail service across Canada.
- Gem Trek
- You can pick up basic park maps free from local information centers, but this company produces much more detailed maps covering all the most popular regions of the Canadian Rockies.
- Lone Pine
- Respected for its field guides, this company has books on almost every natural-history subject pertinent to the Canadian Rockies.
- Rocky Mountain Books
- Check out the catalog of this Calgary publisher, and you’ll surely be impressed by the list of outdoor recreation guides.
- Summerthought Publishing
- If you plan on doing lots of hiking, you’ll want a copy of the authoritative Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by this Banff publisher.
© Andrew Hempstead, from Moon Western Canada, 3rd Edition