Playa El Sombrerito
The Mulegé River meets the Sea of Cortez at Playa El Sombrerito, forming a large estuary that supports a wide variety of marine birds. Sea views are especially dramatic at daybreak. There are a couple of restaurants and a few places to stay near the beach.
Misión Santa Rosalía de Mulegé
One of the earliest missions (1705–1828) established by the Jesuits in Baja California, the Misión Santa Rosalía de Mulegé was founded in 1705 by Padre Juan Manuel de Basaldúa. In 1770 a flood destroyed much of the original settlement on the Río Santa Rosalía, and the church was moved to a bluff overlooking the river. The mission continued to be active until 1828. The missions at San Ignacio and San Javier may be more elegant, but Mulegé’s restored church offers great views of the town and river.
To find the church, follow Calle Zaragoza southwest under the highway bridge and then turn right to ascend the bluff by the church, about three kilometers from the bridge. It is usually locked, except when in use for services.
Museo Regional de Historia
The former town prison, on a hill that overlooks town, has been converted into a local museum (no tel., hours vary, by donation) with a small collection of historical artifacts, including a desk used by mystery writer Erle Stanley Gardner, who researched many of central Baja’s rock art sites.
© Nikki Goth Itoi from Moon Baja, 9th Edition