Russian Bishop’s House
Administered by the National Park Service, the Russian Bishop’s House (907/747-6281, www.nps.gov/sitk, daily 9 a.m.–3 p.m. May–Sept.) is Sitka’s oldest building and one of just four Russian structures still standing in North America. Built in 1842, it was home to Ivan Veniaminov, bishop of Alaska and later head of the entire Russian Orthodox church hierarchy in Moscow.
The first floor houses exhibits describing the building and its occupants, as well as the exploits of Russia’s American colony. The second floor has been fully restored to its 1853 appearance and is filled with original furnishings and artifacts.
Access to the second floor is part of a half-hour tour ($4) led by park interpreters.
© Don Pitcher from Moon Alaska, 10th Edition