By Lebawit Lily Girma
Tenth Edition, November 2013
Price: $19.99 USD
Price: $9.99 USD
This full-color guide to Belize includes vibrant photos and helpful planning maps.
Travel writer, photographer, and Belize expert Lebawit Lily Girma knows the best ways to experience Belize—from the gorgeous beaches of the Northern Cayes to the diversity of the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary and Jaguar Preserve (the only jaguar preserve in the world). Girma offers a range of interesting activities for every traveler—such as waterfall rappelling at Bocawina National Park or attending the Chocolate Festival—as well as unique trip ideas like A 14-Day Cultural Tour. Packed with information on dining, transportation, and accommodations, Moon Belize gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
What’s inside Moon Belize
Enjoy the very best of Belize with these itineraries:
- The Best of Belize
- Flip-Flop Zones
- Adventure Junkies
- Underwater Bliss
- Local Culture
- Wildlife Encounters
- Rhythms of Belize
- The Mundo Maya
Explore what Belize has to offer.
Recommendations for the top sights, recreation, entertainment, hotels, and food in:
- Belize City including Along the Northern Highway and Along the Western Highway
- The Northern Cayes including San Pedro and Ambergris Caye, and Caye Caulker
- Belmopan and Cayo including San Ignacio, The Mountain Pine Range, and Into Guatemala
- Southern Coast including Dangriga, Islands near Dangriga, Hopkins and Vicinity, The Cockscomb Basin, The Placencia Peninsula, and Islands near Placencia
- Punta Gorda and the Toledo District including Punta Gorda and Vicinity, Islands near Punta Gorda, Mayan Upcountry Villages and Archaeological Sites
- Northern Belize including Orange Walk Town, Lamanai, Blue Creek and the Rio Bravo, Corozal and Vicinity, and Chetumal, Mexico
Born in Ethiopia and raised in Côte d’Ivoire, Lebawit “Lily” Girma became an expat at age one and has been traveling—across Africa, Europe, and the Americas—ever since.
In 2008, Lily left behind a successful legal career in Washington DC and discovered her purpose in travel, writing, and photography. Her first visit to Belize took place in summer 2010, when she explored three districts in three weeks. In 2011, Lily worked as an in-house writer and photographer for the Belize Tourism Board, in partnership with the US-based Matador U Media School. She explored all of Belize’s districts extensively, sharing her adventures through a collection of more than 100 online articles and photo essays. Lily later returned to Belize on her own, immersing herself in the culture even further.
Her writing and photography on Belize have been published by CNN Travel, BBC Travel, The New York Times Magazine, International Living Magazine, Travel and Escape, and American Way Magazine, among others.
Lily currently resides in Washington DC for half the year, spending the rest of the time in Belize. She is fluent in four languages— including Spanish and French—and holds a bachelor of arts from the University of Maryland and a Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law.