South America Blog
About this blog
Wayne Bernhardson is the author of Moon Handbooks to Buenos Aires, Chile, Argentina, and Patagonia. Here he shares his vast knowledge of South America and its people.
- The Papal Cumbia
- The Uruguayan Sacraments: Tango & Mate
- Taxing the Tourist: Argentina's AFIP Aims Low
- Fortress Falklands: A Book Review
- Pope Argentinus I, The Musical: Ragtime Meets Tango
- Credit Where Credit Is Undue?
- ¿Adios Hugo?
- When "No" Is A Positive
- Chile and Its "Crazies"
- The Oscars: A Post Mortem, So to Speak
- Sacrificing the Atacama? A Chilean View of Dakar
- Chilean Oscar Faceoff? "No" v. "Kon-Tiki"
- Friday Digest: Southern Cone Nuggets
- Dancing in the Mud? The Andean Aftermath
- Floods & Mud: Summer Storms Hit the Andes
Win This Book - in Chilean Patagonia!
On Monday afternoon I will be sailing, for at least the sixth or seventh time, from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales via the Patagonian Channels on the Navimag ferry Evangelistas. In my opinion, the nearly three-day trip, which arrives in Puerto Natales on Thursday morning (weather permitting) is one of the Southern Cone's highlights, with almost unmatchable maritime scenery (a sample appears here).
The night of my arrival, Thursday January 29, I will be giving a slide talk and question-and-answer session at the Hotel Indigo's Pisco Sour Café, at 9 p.m. Everyone is invited, and there is no cover charge (though food and drinks are available). As at my recent event in Pucón, we will be raffling off one copy of the new edition of Moon Handbooks Patagonia among the attendees. Hotel Indigo is at Ladrilleros 105, tel. 061/413609, directly on the shoreline Avenida Pedro Montt (though the entrance is around the corner on Ladrilleros street).