Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Underwater city revealed in new film, Mayan Blue
The trailer for Mayan Blue, a documentary film shot in Guatemala, definitely makes me want to see more. I'm also looking forward to chatting with the director, Rafael Garcia, about traveling in the Maya world. The film's facebook page is filled with enticing production stills and beautiful travel shots from around the country.
From the film's description: "Beneath the waters of Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, archaeologists have discovered a lost city that has lain dormant for 2000 years. The secrets that this city holds may provide scientists with a physical connection between the myths of the ancient Maya and actual events in their historical past."