Mundo Maya Blog
About this blog
Travelers to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras in 2012 can expect a yearlong celebration of Maya culture, past and present—and Moon Maya 2012 author Joshua Berman is blogging about all of it.
- Maya 2012: A Round-up of Celebrations in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize & Honduras
- Reporting for National Geographic on Maya winter solstice in Belize
- Maya calendar cycle celebrated throughout Central America
- Feliz B'aktun! The New Dawn is Here: The First Sunrise in Caracol, Belize
- Maya Calendar 101: What Does “December 21, 2012” Really Mean?
- Gifts for Mayaphiles
- Books on the Maya: Suggested Reading for 2012
- Izapa Sunrise Story by Mary Jo McConahay
- Tranquilo Radio Tour 2012: Seven hours straight of talking about travel
- Tune in this Wednesday! Maya 2012 author Josh Berman on a radio show near you!
- End Maya-Aztec calendar confusion now!
- Q&A with Maya Experts on Satellite Imagery of Archaeological Sites
- Maya response to 'doomsday' 2012 stories
- Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
- 5 Questions about Traveling in the Mundo Maya for Rafael Garcia
Only a couple of rooms left for "The Great Return: Copan 2012" tour of a lifetime!
The Hacienda San Lucas in western Honduras is a unique resort, with views of the Copan archaeological site and frequent host to yoga retreats and other packages. For December 21, 2012 solstice celebrations, the Hacienda is one of the properties working with JB Journeys to offer "The Great Return: Copan 2012, Winter Solstice in Honduras," a 7-night tour (15–22 December, $2,895 per person double occupancy. There is alson a 4-night option for $2204).
Your fellow guests will include "some of the world’s leading Maya archeologists, scholars, epigraphers, and archeoastronomers, who will present the latest breakthroughs in how the ancient Maya thought about 2012." The trip is being put together by Shannon Kring Buset, Director of the film 2012: THE BEGINNING.
If you don't get one of the last rooms, this is breaking news from the trip organizers: "NEW option for campers! Hacienda San Lucas is providing pup-tents for guests. Camp under the stars near Los Sapos. There will be electricity, shower, and porta-potty, along with 24-hour security. BYO sleeping gear." (Contact JB Journeys for prices.)
Opportunities like this are all over the Mundo Maya and they are surprisingly not all sold out. What are YOUR plans for the solstice?