Cuba & Costa Rica Blog
About this blog
Written by Cuba and Costa Rica expert Christopher P. Baker, this blog will update readers on life in these two diverse and exciting countries.
- Last blog post on Costa Rica and Cuba
- First-ever group motorcycle tours of Cuba successful
- Cuba’s Mariel port readying for Panama Canal expansion
- Musings on wildlife encounters on Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula
- Cuba’s Steam Trains puffing their last gasp
- My top five thrilling activities in Costa Rica
- Cuba’s fun February festivals include Harleys, Books, Cigars
- Five top volcano viewing experiences in Costa Rica
- New road along Costa Rica / Nicaraguan border mired
- Cuba’s Hotel Campoamor at Cojímar to be restored?
- Cuban revolutionary Celia Sánchez honored in new book
- Christmas challenge for Costa Rica’s sexually abused girls
- Costa Rica opens Chinatown in downtown San José
- David Soul films Hemingway’s car restoration in Cuba
- National Geographic Expeditions receives license for Cuba tours
Costa Rica's La Paz Waterfall Gardens and Peace Lodge reopen after earthquake repairs
I'm delighted to report that La Paza Waterfall Gardens has reopened, six months after a 6.4 earthquake devastated the Poas region, destroying the village of Cinchona, on 8 January, 2009.
La Paz, which I visited the month before the quake, is one of my favorite destinations in Costa Rica. I consider it the best all-round facility in Costa Rica, with its snake, frog, butterfly, hummingbird, bird, wild-cat, monkey, and other exhibits, and its trails down to the eponymous La Paz Waterfall.
Fortunately, structural damage to the property was minimal, but extensive damage occurred to the ground and facilities (for example, some of the trails disappeared down the hill). My hat goes off to owners Lee and Cindy Banks, who report that repairs were hampered by heavy rains and by lack of road access, electricity and water. However, they and their magnificent staff, led by Roy Torres, were able to complete repairs that have enhanced the facility. Improvements include a larger dining area, plus the addition of a billiard room.
Meanwhile, the Peace Lodge hotel (also at La Paz) officially reopens on July 1 and is offering a 20 percent discount on rooms throughout July.
Improvements at the hotel are expected to be ongoing through this Fall.
Congratulations Lee, Cindy, Roy and staff! Suerte!!!